Monday, March 21, 2016

3/20/16

This morning we went to the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina. I didn't really know what to expect since I had just heard about the shootings that had happened last June. The secret service being there was pretty intimidating, especially when they checked our bags. I was told that about 5 congressmen were there. I'm not entirely sure if the church normally has this much security, considering the shootings, but I feel that it made some people uptight. Despite the tragedy, it seems that most people were in good spirits, or at least made it seem that way. I kept thinking about what I would do if I were in that church that day, or what I would do if that was one of my family members or friends that had their lives taken. The pastor kept most of my attention, though, with her passion and charming personality. I'm not used to lively services such as this one, and I wish that the masses at my church were this interactive. Everyone participated in singing and dancing and were attentive during the readings. If I lived in the neighborhood, I think I would regularly attend this church because of the community-like feeling it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment