Saturday, March 19, 2016

Greensboro Thoughts

We had a packed day, but it was worth it!

Crafted was this delicious taco place we stumbled upon/saw was the 5th best restaurant in Greensboro from Tripadvisor. I got a Hoodie (falafel taco) and Big Truck (mac and cheese and pulled pork taco) with sweet potato chips, and I'm still talking about how good they were. 

After our speedy lunch we headed to the International Civil Rights Museum. This was probably one of my favorite parts of the day because we got to see some really cool exhibits and get some great infomation on the timeline of the Woolworth diner sit in protests. I felt empowered hearing about how four college students planned this in their dorm room and it spread like "wildfire" throughout the south. The protests led to the end of segregation in Woolworth and other public areas in Greensboro. I think I remember reading only a couple sentences about this in my textbook during high school, so I appreciated more background. We also later were able to take a picture with a statue of the four organizers at the North Carolina A & T Campus.

Another thing that stuck out to me was the Greensboro Historical Society. This stop was still interesting and informative overall, but unfortunately there were some things presented in a way seemed to justify actions of slavery. For example, the tour guide highlighted a story about a slave who ran away to be kept together with her family and not given to another owner in a different state. After turning to a quaker, the quaker worked out an agreement with her slave owner that she could stay with her family. I don't remember her exact words, but the tourguide implied that the slave was "lucky". She also repeatedly explained that the Union went easier on North Carolina because they were one of the last states to join the confederacy and really didn't have a choice. I absolutely don't believe these were intentionally meant to offend, but it shocked me that these subtle justifications of slaveowners because of what is ironically seen as "compassion" or the justification of actions taken by the confederacy are still used by tourguides in museums.

No comments:

Post a Comment