Thursday, March 23, 2017

Post from Ashley Mitchell

Hearing news on tv is impactful to an extent, but being able to be in the presence of a victim of the injustice that we hear about on the news was crazy. Listening the story of Anthony Hinton who was falsely accused and wrongfully convicted, and then having him walk in the room and tell us in person his experience truly broke my heart. It's hard to put into words all the emotions I felt, especially when I found out how little the cops cared about whether he was guilty or not.

I was able to get a greater understanding of the issues that so many of black people fall victim to. Hearing a man who literally lost half his life for something he didn't do, again, broke my heart, and I was filled with anger; but that anger inspired me. I was inspired to think about ways in which I can use my education to help. I was inspired to not tolerate an injustice when I see one, and there are so many in our society today. I'm so glad I got the opportunity to hear Anthony's story, which I wouldn't have been able to do had I not come on this trip. 

- Ashley Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment