Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Washington, DC

I enjoyed my time in Washington, DC. It was a great learning experience for me and I’m sure it was for others on the pilgrimage. The Capitol and the monuments were really great to see in person; especially since I’ve never had to opportunity to ever go to DC. I appreciated the Capitol tour, but I felt that the building of America by African/African American slaves was not expressed enough. Nor, was the Native American aspect of America expressed. For example, they had a statue of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, that made him look so depressed and sad, instead of something that made him look more alive and real. Then it was a huge focus on religion, that I feel should not have been there. They also have a mural that shows Pocahontas praising George Washington. The whole tour I just kept seeing disgrace after disgrace. Not to mention the minority children with Trump and “Make America Great Again” Hats on that probably have no idea what’s going on in politics. 


On another note, the National Museum of African America History and Culture was just amazing. I feel like everything was touched on. Not a lot of museum express culture, they only show the history of the black experience and not much of the fun and everyday life. I felt like the museum did just that. Everything was life like, the artifacts were not commonly seen in other museums, and it was big and interactive to accommodate for children and adults alike. It was just an overall great experience, and I’d love to go back to the museum to see everything a bit more in detail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment