Friday, March 27, 2015

History as Stories

As we travel from Little Rock, Arkansas to Memphis, Tennessee, there is a string of words that has really stuck with me: "History should be how you take moments and change the meaning." Being in Little Rock really reinforced my ideas on the importance in standing by what you believe and standing up for what you believe. To even learn that a detail such as the Little Rock 9 actually being the Little Rock 10, emphasizes the importance in doing one's own research when trying to use history in changing the future. 

To also tie this back to what Dr. Bernard Lafayette said about making what you're trying to change specific, these kids had a very specific goal in integrated schools and their bravery was able to make that change. I am working on thinking of specific ways I can contribute to change for our movement today and how to make my soul just as brave.


No comments:

Post a Comment