Sunday, March 29, 2015

LaVontae Brooks' post

What can I say about the 2015 Civil Rights Pilgrimage? It was one of the best experiences in my life. The reason I say that is because I was able to learn about all of the Trailblazers who made it possible for me to vote, sit anywhere on the bus, have the opportunity for an equal education, etc. I'm not saying I did not know about the struggle that my ancestors went through, but I was reminded and educated about the true events that occurred. Two of my favorite moments of the Pilgrimage was (1) listening to the great Dr. Bernard Lafayette speak in Tuskegee, Alabama. Having the opportunity to listen to several moments in his life where he overcame discrimination and even his own death was so humbling and filled me with so much hope. Dr. Lafayette said, "It's not your feet that's carrying you. It's something in you that's carrying your feet"! This reminded me of the importance of having a passion for what you do. (2) It was something about Little Rock Central High School that resonated with me. Maybe it was the fact that I care so deeply about education. Just knowing that the bravery of kids younger than me took on the challenge of desegregating schools was so inspiring. There were so many great things that I can talk about, but I don't have the time. The Civil Rights Pilgrimage has left me feeling grateful, inspired, humbled, EDUCATED, and optimistic about what's to come in the future! January Boten and the trip planners (Nick Tarleton, Youyou Zhang, Latrice Tynes, and LaQueishia Cummins) did an amazing job with making sure we left this trip feeling great about our decision to come.

- LaVontae Brooks, senior

No comments:

Post a Comment